Hi Lovely Readers,
As you know I spend a lot of time talking about products and beauty routines, but I have never really delved into my own daily rituals. I wanted to share with you a very simplified version.
I love so many different brands and I incorporate them into my routine depending on my skin’s needs or my mood. That said, the foundation of my skincare regime is based solely on readily available, raw ingredients. This (I must confess) is because I have a fear.
I am afraid that I will get stuck using a specific product that I cannot live without; I will move somewhere where they don’t carry it, or it will be discontinued. I don’t like to rely sooo heavily on something that my routine is not sustainable. I know. . . perhaps I’m being a bit dramatic, but I actually maintain this philosophy throughout my entire life, especially with food. When you learn to create things for yourself, you never have to go without.
So as I said, I have crafted my skincare routine based on single ingredients. Even if I cannot find a certain brand or product, I can always choose another one that I trust based on its primary ingredients.
My skin care routine consists of the following:
- virgin, cold pressed coconut oil
- castor oil
- raw honey
- rose water
- cold pressed rosehip oil/ and or sea buckthorn berry oil.
- I start by using what is affectionately known as the ‘oil cleansing method’. I will let you read about it here. It uses oil and steam to draw out oil and other impurities (using the simple rule that oil attracts oil). I cleanse using my own oil blend and a microfiber cloth. The blend can differ depending on individual skin needs; since I have dry skin with the tendency to break out, I use 3:1 coconut oil to castor oil. Also, depending on the season I may follow this up by washing with a gentle cleanser (borrowing One Love Organics’ fantastic ‘double cleansing‘ method).
- Next, I spritz my face with rose water which helps prepare my skin to absorb more moisture (for the same reason why a wet sponge absorbs more water than a dry one).
- On damp skin I slather a rosehip or sea buckthorn berry oil. These are my favourites since they act to reduce inflammation and skin pigmentation, heal scars, and are high in fatty acids (if I am really dry, I will use a moisturizer before I put on the oil, currently I am using Holistic Vanity’s Brightening Hyaluronic Lotion).
- I wash only with water (my skin is more balanced without a second wash- I highly recommend trying this!), but if I am feeling oily or a little off-balance, I will wash with raw honey. I first wet my face and then massage a small amount on skin. I will sometimes let it sit for a few minutes and then rinse it off. Raw honey is naturally antibacterial, yet gentle and will not strip your skin (note: pasteurized honey is not as effective).
- Next up, a spray of rose water.
- All followed with a moisturizer (I leave the oil for night, unless I am feeling particularly dry).
Et, voilà! There you have it lovelies, my simplified skincare routine. I always add things here and there, and change it up depending on the season, but I really love using raw ingredients and seeing what magic they can do on my skin without any assistance from chemists or labs.
What is your favourite skincare routine?